Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Wonderland Marine West Open Tournament


Last weekend was the 9th annual Wonderland tournament out of Erie Metro park near Flat Rock Michigan. This event brings out the best once a year for a winner take all team event. For the last 4 years, Nick and I have had average to slightly above average results. This year fortunately we were able to finish 16th out of about 110 boats. Our best finish yet for this tournament but still somewhat bittersweet. When you get as close as we have been this year, it's somewhat hard to swallow b/c it's been a while since we have experienced a win.


Mother Nature brought us 5 foot waves and cooler than normal temperatures, our decision to optimize our fishing time by staying close to the ramp turned out to be an extremely wise one. About half way through the day, we took a wave over the front of the boat that nearly caused me to lose balance and go in myself. If it hadn't been for quick thinking to immediately fall on my butt, I would have been swimming. One of the coolest things I experienced actually happened in the same conditions the day before. My buddy Craig Deck and I were pre-fishing when I hooked about a 12 lb sheephead. He asked me if I needed the net and I told not to worry about it. I simply timed the waves just right and when the peak of the wave went higher than the gunnel of the boat I slid the fish on the deck. Craig was amazed!! Plus he had just caught his first drop-shot fish so he was already in a good mood. Think GOD, because his tournament day turned out to be a nightmare, but we won't elaborate on that.


Above is a picture of my little boy Spencer. He was trying on my fishhedz mask while I was vacuming the boat last night. There was so much standing water that I had to empty Dad's 5 gallon shop vac four times.


This Saturday I have a Fishersofmen tournament on Erie as well. Wish me luck!!

No comments: